Thursday, September 24, 2009

Shochu from the Moon Light


One experience I forgot to mention in Sendai was my gift of Shochu from the Moon Light. After the tug-of-war ended, Tarah headed back to our hotel while I wandered around taking in the sights. I found a little bar near the JR station and decided to take a peek. I walked in and found the bar keep and one patron. They were pretty excited to have an "American" in their pub. The bartender's name was Lei'a and the drunk old guy introduced himself as "John." I ordered a Shochu and I was handed my drink along with a beer and a plate of tomatoes/cucumbers/mayonaisse. Within a minute, a microphone was thrust upon me and the karoke machine cranked out "Rocky Mountain High" by Olivia Newton John!?! I had to sing for the two friends I had just met, but I didn't have the heart to tell them that Oliva Newton John did not sing that song. After another round, "John" had a taxi pick him up and I was ready to head back. In typical Japanese form, Lei'a handed me bottle of house Shochu as a gift and wished me well. What a great way to end a visit to Sendai, Kyushu. BTW - that John Denver is full of shit.

2 comments:

  1. Tarah & Jeff,
    Reading your blog brings back wonderful memories of my trip to Thailand. The people there were also amazing and so respectful…maybe you can get there one day as well. I too had to deal with the squatter toilet issue which isn’t any fun but does make you appreciate what you have here in the states. As for the karoke, John Denver songs must be easy for everyone to learn! In Thailand, everywhere we went we heard John Denver Country Road. Enjoy the rest of your trip and safe travels.
    Love,
    Christy & Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wha Hoppen? Haven't seen pictures for several days. Are you busily adding captions to them ?
    So glad it's all working so well for you. Have you considered going North of Tokyo and maybe having a look at Nikko and environs ? Love G'Pa.

    ReplyDelete