Friday, September 18, 2009

Day 2 - Baseball!

Jeff and I woke up at a reasonable time, no jet lag which was nice. It really helps to just force yourself onto the schedule of wherever you land... That did require us to stay up almost 24 hours the night before though...

We started our morning off at a cafe called Cafe de Crie - I had a croissant which was really good. Everything was individually wrapped. I also had this delicious chocolate milk and espresso shot, OMG it was good. I did however hit the table with my foot and sent the espresso cup and saucer flying off the table. Jeff caught it with 2 fingers "just like chopsticks" he said... Thank god it didn't hit the floor and break, that would have been embarrassing.

Our first stop for the day was the Sony building in the ginza district. The rail was pretty easy this time, no real issues. The Sony building was really cool. We walked the whole showroom, played with cameras and even got to print off several pictures we took. We even got to make some paper animals while the staff took pictures of us.

After that we decided to find some lunch which is no easy task. There are so many food places and each looks equally delicious. We decided to pick a place down an alley versus one on the main drag. The place we picked ended up geing really good and our meal only cost about 1800 yen. Jeff had tuna with several little plates of rice, pickles, etc... I had cold soba noodles with veggies, rice with whitefish and a few other small items.

After lunch we walked around ginza for a bit looking in the shop windows, it is known to be a high end fashion area so we saw some beautiful clothing, shoes and accessories. The people are just dressed so nice here too. I am in awe of what the women wear, I love it!

We headed back to the hotel to freshen up before meeting Ken who is one of Jeff's co-workers brother. He was nice enough to go to the Tokya giants game with us and show us around.

The train to the game was pretty easy and once there we went to their beer garden and sat for a bit chattinhg. The game began at 1800 - everything here is in military time. The game was so cool. We had nosebleed section b/c that is all I could get online. apparently the Giants and the Osaka Tigers are big rivals. Somehow we ended up in the Tigers area or so it seemed. All the beer vendors at the game are cute girls, we of course had to roder a beer from them. 800 yen for a beer.

After a few innings we decided to try our luck at better seats. We landed in the Giants fan section standing in the back. The crowd was so much fun, they have chats for everything. Some kids moved over and let us stand with them. I think they liked my Ichiro shirt. I chatted with them as much as I could. Some drunk guy ended up giving me his wrist band for #2 b/c he liked my shirt too. We bought no souveniers but we walked out with 2 towels and a wrist band. It was an amazing game - they won!

Since we were so jazzed after the game we went to one of Ken's favorite bars in the Ueno area of tokyo - Warrior Celt, an irish bar. We met a few of his friends, a nice mix of Japanese and english speaking people. I met my first person from Whales, he was nice. I had 2 ciders... Mind you we did not eat dinner so by the time I finish the 2nd one we called it a night and we headed back to our hotel. I could have fallen asleep on the train but thankfully made it back to our room. I was out though as soon as my head hit that pillow. It was a great day!

Pictures have been uploaded!

2 comments:

  1. BOOO!! Big brother at work is blocking my ability to view pictures!!! I will have to check them out when I get home. At least I can still read what you are up to! Sounds like you are having a great time! Can't wait to hear more about your adventures tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Japanese friends are all mixed up. Guinness is drunk in Ireland. What's wrong with Kirin and the other good Japanese Beers? When back in Tokyo, if it's still there, check out the Matsuya Dept Store playground on the roof, restaurants on the 8th floor and the luxury Deli and Grocery in the basement. Keep having fun. G'Pa Maxwell

    ReplyDelete