Sunday, September 27, 2009

Day 10... Whoops, forgot something!

I can't believe I left out a huge experience from day 10!! Jeff and I went to our first Onsen. What an onsen is is a bath house. I actually had to walk around naked in front of Japanese women of all ages (mostly older). It was very weird at first but I got over it pretty quickly.

After you undress and put your stuff in your locker you take your wash cloth and head into the area with all the different pools. Most are hot and have either some sort of mineral (one was purple and one looked milky), or electric currents (very freaky, esp if you didn't know it was there), jets, no jets, and a cold dip. This old lady told me what to do in a round about way as I think she could tell I was super confused. There is this area where you are supposed to pull up a little chair, sit down and basically scrub yourself clean. It's a bit weird sitting there showering in front of people but they are doing the same thing. Then once you are clean enough you can partake in the different pools or sauna. I had read some people use modesty towels but I didn't see anyone with one so I left my little towel they gave me in my locker.

The onsen is same sex so you're not walking around with guys. I would not have done that as that would have freaked me out. Jeff will share with you his experience I am sure.

As for the electric current pool, I had no idea it was emitting electrodes so when I got it it scared me to death as it gave me jolts and actuallt felt painful. It was only on one side of the pool so I moved to the other side and just kind of laughed. Later an old lady got in and I put my finger in there and made a funny face at her, she just laughed and goty in it. She was able to just stand there, no problem. Apparently it's top stimulate blood flow and metabolism. Maybe that is the secret to being thin! I found a blog of a woman who lives in Japan about Onsen Etiquette. It's worth reading. She even has pictures. I can honestly say I wasn't about to snap picts in there!!

No comments:

Post a Comment