Friday, September 25, 2009

Hiroshima Peace Park and surroundings

I remember when I first learned about the A-Bomb in school and ever since then I have had this urge to visit Hiroshima. At 8:15am on August 6th 1945, Hiroshima became the first city on earth to have an atomic dropped on it. It is estimated that more than 140,000 people perished by the end of 1945 as a direct result of this horrible, then new, technology. As of 2009, it is estimated that more than 300,000 people have died as a direct result of the A-Bomb. Now, when I lived in Hawaii, we always saw Japanese visitors at Pearl Harbor and I wondered why there were so many. After visiting Hiroshima, I now know why. To the Japanese, Pearl Harbor was the spark that ended in the fireballs over Hiroshima on August 6th and Nagasaki on August 9th. For many, they feel compelled to pay their respects and to try to better understand the Japanese government policies of WWII. To say that Hiroshima is a moving place is an extreme understatement. While walking through the Peace Park or visiting the National Memorial Hall, you can not help but feel a little choked-up. We took well over 100 photos - mostly without us in them because it is hard to smile for a photo in this amazing place. Hiroshima today is world renowned for it's peace efforts across the globe. In fact, each time a nuclear device is tested in any of the "nuclear-states", the Mayor of Hiroshima sends that country's President an official Letter of Protest. The keep of record of these letters in the Peace Memorial Museum and there are currently well over 300 - it is most sobering and unnerving.

Not all is doom and gloom in Hiroshima. There are vast numbers of school children who take field trips there from all corners of Japan. We actually got to take a photo with a group of children which was absolutely amazing. We then were approached by other small groups of kids who wanted to ask us questions in English. They gave us paper cranes as gifts (this is symbolic of Hiroshima on so many levels) and in return we gave them some Seattle pins we were carrying with us. The kids brightened our day big time! Oh yeah - the Jehovah Witnesses are alive and well in Hiroshima - they are not nearly as pushy as in the states which was nice. As a history buff and former military brat, I had a greater understanding of the events that led up to August 6th and after - I felt like I truly connected with this place and I will never forget my thoughts and emotions. We spent almost 5 hours wandering throughout the park, memorials, museum, and hall. It is a vivid reminder of the destruction that mankind can do unto himself and hopefully the generations to come can learn from this important lesson - I strongly believe that the school children being present was a positive sign.

5 comments:

  1. Jeff, I can well imagine as a History buff how much you were intrigued by Hiroshima. Glad you got there. Tarah, your description of the Japanese Pizza intrigued me. Do they still have Tempura Bars where they serve right out of the fryer deep fried, coated, crisp seafoods (especially Shrimp) and all sorts of vegetables? If so I don't think you have mentionwed them.
    Love. G'Pa Maxwell

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pizza post was Jeff's, he loved it so much!! They do have the tempura places but we haven't done that yet. I am hoping to do the Tepanyaki place tonight for dinner where we grill our own meat at our table. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being at Pearl Harbour during the ceremony of the bombing, I noticed many Japanese, which at that moment I thought was strange. We were traveling to Truk Lagoon to dive the ships that the Americans sunk after the bombing of Pearl Harbour. There were many speakers, but the most moving was from an old man, Japanese, that spoke about what Pearl Harbour and Hiroshima meant to the world. I have never been so moved with this man's passion. We toured the Harbour and found a haunting peace but didn't quite connect with this man's words. When reaching Truk Lagoon I saw a beautiful Lagoon surround by many islands with crystal blue water, beautiful and peaceful ....until I dove underwater to reach the ships...........I then realized what this old man was talking about and feeling that I was only a spect......I thought I had prepared myself for the History of the area, but until I saw and felt the two areas of destruction in that moment of time......I pray that we as human beings never put ourselves/others into that situation again....History teaches us and we do not always Learn...Pray for our Leaders....many situations coming !!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You, know, I hope we were always as kind to the Japanese we saw visiting Pearl Harbor. Suzanne

    ReplyDelete