Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Day 14 - Tokyo

Today is our last full day in Tokyo so we tried to get in a few items we missed last time. We ended up sleeping in till about 10am due to being out so late last night (and drinking a bit much) - we were even a bit grumpy until we got some food in our bellies. Noodles today and they were great (cold noodles that you drop into the bowl of hot soup)!!

We hopped a train and headed to Ueno to check out this shopping market (Ameyoko Market) where haggling is acceptable and they supposedly have great deals on items - even fake bags and such. I have been looking for a hard case suitcase to take back all the goods we have bought. I see them everywhere and they come in such wonderful colors. They have been running between 125 and up so I was hoping for a bargain. We found a few places and by the 3rd place I found the one I wanted, hot pink hard case and he gave it to us for 9500 yen - score!! I love it!

After the market we headed to Harajuku in hopes of seeing some of the Harajuku kids. They are supposedly all over the place on a Sunday but since we haven't been in Tokyo for a Sunday we thought we'd see what was happening in that area... Sadly, not much. tons of people shopping, a few fashionable questionable and even cool people wandering... Honestly thought I feel like I saw more foreigners there than any of the other areas of town... Especially in the toy shop we stopped in. I'm still glad we went though as it offered some interesting shops which we haven't seen before.

We stocked up on a few Hello Kitty items and then called it good. I hate to admit it but I'm a bit shopped out and I haven't bought any clothing or shoes for myself... which is killing me! The shopping and food here are by far some of the best I have seen. The shoes seem to be a .5 size to big and their largest size is one size to small for me. Boooo! I haven't really looked very hard though so maybe somewhere in Japan they have a store suitable for me. I am going to try and re-create some of the cool fashion ensembles I have seen here!

After our big day out we headed back to the Westin to relax and nap before our dinner date with our new friends. We cleaned up and headed back to Manta where they were waiting for us with 2 saved seats. We had our Orion beers and were given a delicious pork and something appetizer. Then we were given this amazing grade A7 fatty tuna that Gushi Kawa-san had gone to the market to get that morning. It is worth 25,000 yen a kilo and he bought it for us to share. He is such a nice man. We are so glad to have met him. Tamami is the woman we met with him and she speaks English which has helped us so much in this budding friendship with them. She is great!! Gussan is the guy who works at Manta and is also super friendly. He brought us Manta t-shirts which made Jeff so happy. We gave them some Seattle pictures we bought and a Seattle pin. We also gave them our information and said anytime they want to come to Seattle, we have a room for them!

We ordered several items off the menu, with Tamami's help, and shared them all. The food there is typical in Okinawa... actually the whole place is all about Okinawa and we've been invited to Okinawa in 2010. We have to go! To explain the evening would be hard, just like last night... So, yet again, words are failing me and just know that it was a perfect end to this trip. The hospitality we have come across from everyone makes us feel so warm and happy inside. We will be back Japan, we love everything about you! Sayonara for now! (Day 15 will probably not be added until we are back in Seattle).

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on a sterling adventure, well-lived. Now have a pleasant and safe trip home. Fly Low and Slow !! G'Pa

    ReplyDelete