Sunday, September 27, 2009

Day 11 - Kyoto

This morning we checked out of the Bakpak Hostel and into the Toyoko-Inn. It's cheaper and 100 times nicer!! We took the subway to visit the Kiyomizu-dera temples, it was beautiful and there was this wonderful smell we couldn't find. It smelled liked peaches or something, we searched and searched... The temple and area was really nice and I think we should have good luck for quite sometime as we rubbed rocks, got our fortune, drank holy water, etc...

After leaving the temple we stopped for coffee at some little local coffee shop. The older guy who owns it gave us this amazing coffee... It was infused or something, I'd never seen coffee made the way he did it. Once we finished that we wandered the city, checking out shops and walking quite a bit. I also believe we found a geisha neighborhood. Some boys asked us to take their picture for them and we asked what the place was and Jeff heard "very delicious" and I heard "many geisha". Jeff responded delicious and if they said what I thought they said then Jeff looks like a huge perv!

Lunch was at a surf cafe that we found. I had this fantastic tune fish sandwhich and salad and Jeff had some spicy ramen dish that he is still raving about. After tasting my sandwich he said "I like tuna fish now, we're going to have to start making this at home". HAHA! Japan has opened him up to all sorts of foods that he now likes. Sounds like we'll be recreating some of the dishes we've had here at home.

I ended up buying a few more souveniers and then we started making our way back towards our area of town. We stopped at the station and picked up our bags from the lockers we stashed them in and then headed to the hotel. Once settled Jeff and Sean skyped for an hour or so while I got ready and then we heded out for dinner - sushi! Jeff had read of this cheap but good sushi place in the Kyoto station so we went there. It was both cheap and good so good call on that one!

We decided to have some sake after and found a cool place by our hotel where we had this sake sampler. I found a new brand of sake I really like, hope they have it at home!!

Here are pictures from the day!

2 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you guys. I used to say I felt sorry for Tourists who came to Tokyo for a day and night, took the Pigeon Bus Tour of the City, had Mongolian Barbecue, and went home as authorities on the Far East. You are doing it right !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have the chance, try the Eel dish. I used to have it in a Garden Type restaurant with Japanese men, no wives, Geisha Girls as companions and entertainers. It was delicious served hot, but if you left it on your plate long enough to cool it was raw again.Forgot to sign the last one. Love. G'Pa Maxwell

    ReplyDelete