Saturday, September 5, 2009

Gift Ideas & Etiquette

I've been going back and forth on what to take as gifts to Japan. I had heard gifts where you're from are acceptable so I was thinking postcards, but unique postcards... However now I am second guessing myself. I did buy these though as they are really cool and unique. I was thinking just putting our info on the other side so, in theory, we can stay in touch with our new friends. Does that sound silly? Is it a dumb idea?

The sushi chef at Shiki suggested we take Salmon, which I have mentioned before, and I actually found some at the Made in WA store, online. I think I'll go buy some on Monday... It's a 6 pack and each is just 2oz... That shouldn't take up much space. YAY!

All of this searching online brought me to a website about etiquette... Some of which I didn't know from all my other reading:
- It is impolite to eat or drink something while walking down the street.
- Do not bite or clean your fingernails, gnaw on pencils, or lick your fingers in front of others.
- In restaurants or when visiting it's customary to get a small, moist rolled-up towel (cold in summer, hot in winter) called an "oshibori" to wipe their hands with.
- It's impolite to wipe the face and neck with it though some do in less formal places.
- In Japan it is impolite to pour your own drink when eating with others--you pour your companion's drink and your companion pours yours.
- If you don't want any more to drink, leave your glass full.
- It's customary to say "Itadakimasu" before eating and "Gochisosama deshita" after eating, especially if you're being treated, as well as "Kanpai" for "Cheers".
- When sharing a dish, put what you take on your own plate before eating it.
- Do not make excessive special requests in the preparation of your food, nor wolf it down.
- Do not use your chopsticks to skewer food, move dishes around, and NEVER dish out food to another using the same ends you just ate from--use the top ends.
- Don't use your chopsticks to point at somebody.
- Don't leave your chopsticks standing up out of your food.
- It is normal in Japan to pick up your rice or miso soup bowl and hold it under your chin to keep stuff from falling.
- Traditional Japanese food is served on several small plates, and it's normal to alternate between dishes instead of fully eating one dish after another.
- Don't leave a mess on your plate--fold your napkins neatly.
- Don't take wads of napkins, sugar packs, or steal "souvenirs" when you leave a restaurant.
- Do not put soy sauce on your rice--it isn't meant for that.
- Do not put sugar or cream in Japanese tea.
- There is no real custom like "help yourself". Wait until the host offers something.
- If you act as host, you should anticipate your guest's needs (cream/sugar, napkins, etc.).
- If you must use a toothpick, at least cover your mouth with your other hand.
- Be aware that in Japan it is normal to make slurping sounds when you're eating noodles.
- In Japan, it's good (in commercials, anyway) to make loud gulping noises when drinking. Expect to hear lots of it in ads.
- It is normal to pay a restaurant or bar bill at the register instead of giving money to the waiter/waitress. There is no tipping in Japan.
- It's considered rude to count your change after paying the bill in a store or restaurant, but the Japanese themselves do give it a cursory lookover.

Oh, and I actually "fake packed" today and sofar it's looking good for me. I just may be able to pull this backpacking thing off... Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment